General & Local Medical Information
Please note that NW8-mums provides information only and cannot be held responsible should you have an unsatisfactory experience or undesirable outcome.
If you are looking for antenatal services, please click HERE to take you to the dedicated page for antenatal support.
There are several GP surgeries in the area. The best way to find your nearest one is to have a look at the link HERE. We are lucky to have some amazing GPs at our local GP surgeries, but it can still be helpful to talk to people and ask if they are happy with their surgery and which GP they tend to see the most. Please note that even if you get assigned a particular GP, you don’t have to see them. You can book in with any GP in your surgery and for each visit you can book another one if you like.
Urgent Weekend GPs
If you need the GP urgently during the weekend, call 111 and they will advice you. Please click HERE for more details.
Below are some links to private clinics here in St John’s Wood or close-by. There are of course many more, but these are the most well-known to me at least.
- The Wellington Hospital – It is situated in the heart of St John’s Wood and you can find help for most conditions through them.
- St John & St Elizabeth Hospital – If you need help, reassurance or similar, there is also The London Paediatric Unit situated within The Hospital of St John’s & St Elizabeth’s. They have a phone line Mondays-Fridays where you can speak to one of their paediatric nurses. If nobody answers, just leave a message and they will call you back. Here you can have immunisations done privately too. Please find the Consultant Directory for the hospital by clicking HERE.
Some, but not an exhaustive list of, popular private doctors, paediatricians and GPs in the area are:
Dr Lee Noimark – Please note this is Dr Lee Noimark and not Dr Dean Noimark.
The Portland Hospital – Situated on Great Portland Street, here you can go for most things, but this is very popular with families. They also have an Urgent Care department for children from 0-17 years of age.
The Princess Grace Hospital – This is situated in Marylebone.
Dr Daniel Glass – Karin has been under his care for over a year and her two children have also seen him on multiple occasions (all for very different concerns).
If you have a specific gynaecological issue, we recommend to look for someone whose speciality it is.
- Dr Penelope Law comes highly recommended by a very close friend. She is also an obstetrician.
- Miss Claire Mellon is another favourite in the group.
- Ms Charlotte Chaliha is also a popular gynaecologist.
Your GP would normally do them, however some of them are not offered as part of the NHS vaccination schedule. However, some GP surgeries will be able to provide some jabs done that are not part of the schedule and which you have to pay for.
Should you want some or all immunisations done privately, many of the above-mentioned doctors can do them. However, you can also have them done at The London Paediatric Unit, at Baby Jabs and at The Portland Hospital.
Immunisations for travelling can also be done at St John & St Elizabeth Hospital.
Measles & Meningitis
- You can find a dentist through the NHS.
Local Private Dentists
- Aura Dental is situated moments away from St John’s Wood High Street. They see both adults and children.
- 55a Dental – Situated at 55a St John’s Wood High Street, this clinic is run by Dr Mesut Mehri.
- Twoth Dental & Aesthetics, founded by a local husband and wife team who are part of NW8-mums, is another popular practice. Most of my family go here.
- Another local dentist is Dr Diana Spencer of Abbey Road Dental.
- Happy Kids Dental (locations in Marylebone and Chelsea) are popular within the group. They also helped Karin’s son with something specific and were excellent.
- Although not local, but still worth mentioning is Smile Style Dental in Holland Park. Karin’s husband has seen Dr Balkin (Scottish and US trained) since 1998.
Central Health has a branch in St John’s Wood and they are popular within the group.
My French Physio therapists frequently come recommended in the group.
Nicole Zubaida has helped many NW8 families over the years and the feedback I have received has been very positive. Over the years, Nicole has presented talks to us which have also been popular and well received.
Everyone who works in Courtenay Chemist on St John’s Wood High Street is lovely and offers such helpful advice. Karin always goes there for medicines and/or advice.
Other local chemists include:
Boots – situated on St John’s Wood High Street
St John’s Wood Pharmacy – also situated on St John’s Wood High Street
Karin’s entire family goes to Safarian & Simon on St John’s Wood High Street. They are very good, nice and honest and also do great eye exams for children.
Sign Up for Our Newsletters
If you would like to keep in touch with NW8-mums and receive newsletters, please fill in your details below.